My black taxi cab.

When the Jatco automatic gearbox finally died on my old cab,I found it impossible to get it rebuilt. Originally I thought of using one from a TX1 but then bought a black fairway.I thought I could use the gearbox and keep the rest for spares.

I have created a facebook group for fellow fairway enthusiasts its here.

Some of the new cab was actually better than my original and rather than swap the gearboxes I decided to make a better taxi out of the two.I had always wanted a black cab,my original was blue.My old cab had all the brake components renewed along with the exhaust so these,and the interior were swapped over.I use the taxi as a daily driver I also have a Rover p5b and a Silver Shadow.

The first job was to remove the interior partition from my old taxi to fit in the new one which no longer had one.The partitions are heavy box section steel,they contribute to the strength of the vehicle and are welded to beams on the floor and in the roof.When in place the partition is part glazed,covered on the cab side in alloy sheet and to the rear with plastic mouldings. It carries fixings for the rear tip up seats and seat belts.

I cut the partition as close as possible to match the remains of the partition left in the other taxi.

The partitions were not identical.

 Presumably they were welded and fitted by hand when the taxi was built.

The partition was welded to steel plates which were then in turn welded to the floor.


The covering panels were then reattached using where possible, the existing holes for rivets and screws.

The fixings for the seat belts and tip up rear seats were made stronger than original using 5mm steel brackets welded in place.

There is some wiring running through and under the frames,for the heaters and lights etc.



The sunroof later developed a slight leak round the rubber seal.

The mechanism was damaged and beyond repair with parts missing.

It was replaced by a solid panel made from galvanised steel, held with flush rivets so could be removed at a future date.

The inside was covered with carpet glued to the underside.

These taxis rust badly with built in water traps and poor sealing.If you like welding you'll find plenty to do with one.

All fairways seem to rust at the rear of the bonnet,where water seems to get trapped.

The welding is a bit like pigeon poo but looked better when ground down.



Some rot was evident in the inner wheel arches,again typical of a fairway.
This picture of rot round the heater vent on my old taxi shows another typical rust trap.

The seat belt mounts in the rear rot badly on these taxis.

Not pretty but much stronger than original with 3mm plate either side of the wheel arch.

My previous taxi had rotted in the same place.